Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My First Evaluation

Tomorrow is my first evaluation by my principal. I will be evaluated in the fourth grade teacher's classroom for 15 minutes then I will pull-out three students and do a writing lesson avoiding sentence fragments.

I'm a little nervous and I haven't put any more preparation into this lesson than I usually do. Maybe I should. Some may say put your best foot forward for your evaluation. However, I decided the best feedback for me (especially since I have a supportive principal who I don't have to fear negative, untruthful feedback from) will be feedback that is based on my REAL everyday teaching behavior.

We'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. The evaluation went well. All of the feedback was very positive and there was one suggestion the principal made that made sense to me. She suggested an alternate way of assessing how much the students knew than the one that I had used.

    The students were actually just as talkative with the principal observing me as they usually are. Since I wanted a realistic observation, I did not see this as a negative factor. I had to think on the spot and came up with a new rule that has been working ever since. I told them, "The rule is, When Ms. PE is talking, no one else should be. As soon as I start talking everyone else should get very quiet." That helped reign in the talking some, and the principal did not note that as a problem in her observation.

    Glad that's over though. I was quite nervous.

    ReplyDelete